You can attach files to each task when adding a new comment or upload a file to the project regardless of the task, using section Files. Comments and projects can contain any type of file – photo, document, PDF, MP3m MP4, .doc, .xml etc.
Uploaded attachments show up in the discussions straight away with a great preview or small preview. Audio and video can be played directly in Freelo.
Examples how to use files:
- Company’s WIKI or knowledge base – sort files, notes, links and documents with instructions, procedures in folders. Know-how is easily available for the whole team at one place.
- Do you upload “files to process“ to Freelo? You can put them to folder To be processed and after needed updates move them to folder Done/Processed.
- Create a folder where you place all the project background documents.
- When uploading for example graphic designs, you can discuss the changes under each file separately. The file can be replaced with the new version – so all the changes are kept and you can go through them anytime.
- When someone sends you a link to file placed in cloud, you can add it to a particular project as a file type Link. It will be way easier to search it next time.
How to upload a new file to Freelo
- Add an item to section Files: In this section you can sort files in folders, the items are not connected to specific tasks. Each project has an own sections Files. It is in project detail within the bar under a project name.
Via green button + you can select which item type you want to upload.
- Drag and Drop to the editor window or in Files: Drag by the mouse any file (or more at a time) and drop them it into the text editor and it will be uploaded within your comment (or section Files).
- CTRL (CMD) + V: Copy the picture to the clipboard, then paste it directly into the text editor while writing a comment (also works in section Files). You can also paste content from the clipboard through the context menu of the mouse (right button).
- Via the Attach file button: The button is below the text editor. Click and select one or more files you want to add to the comment.
All uploaded files from discussions are in the blue folder All files from discussions. This folder is the first in section Files and cannot be removed, renamed or edited. It helps you search and filter across the files in comments.
Uploading in Files
You can upload a new item in the section Files via green button + and then select, which item type you want to create/upload. Or just drag the items and drop them into a file.
Add item types:
- New note
- Create a folder
- Upload a file (we support all types)
- Link for third-party service (Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or any other URL)
In the uploading form enter item name, otherwise, that is same as the file name other. You can add some notes and select, if you want to notify other users. Save via green button Add.
Every project has section Files in the menu, where you can sort attachments in folders, set them color or order, filter, plunge and work with services such as Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive. Items can have multiple versions that you can browse in the history.
Handle your documents and notes as in the computer storage. Thanks to that all the project is documentation at one place, without creating tasks.
Go to the project detail and find section Files.
Features within files
In the detail of each item/file is a menu, that offers more actions. On the right is File actions…, Note actions… or Link actions… et.
What can you do with items:
- Comment, discuss, mention colleagues
- Edit – author and other team members
- Browse history of changes
- Follow the item and receive notifications in case of updates
- Pin to a project so no one can miss it
- Copy (create a template and use it over and over)
- Move to another project or folder
- Set your own priority
- Share via public link – useful when someone doesn’t use Freelo
- Download file
- Delete file
Versions and browse history
Via Version history you can browse history of the uploaded file versions. With every new update the author can decide, whether wants to notify other users about the changes.
Click Version history in the right menu.
Appears a window with all the changes.
Discussion in files and notes
How to notify other users
You can choose, whether you want to notify other users when editing or adding new items. Click Don’t notify anyone of changes so no one receives a notification about updates. Or click Select who you want to notify of changes where you select users, who will be notified > click the checkbox by their name.
Confirm the changes via Add or Save.
Share outside Freelo via public link
This feature is useful when you have colleagues (from another department) or clients who don’t use Freelo. The link is always updates so you can share discussion with notes to a particular file. There is no need to download an item.
In the right menu click Share via public link… > Generate public link > Go to public page. Copy the link and share it with anyone you need outside Freelo.
How to pin file to a project
Pinned items to a project are well visible for all users in a project. It is useful for important files, project assignment or client details. We would recommend to setup project sections in Project settings as well.
Go to file detail and in right menu click Pin to project… You can pin the item to a project, where it is located only.
Thanks to sorting files into folders you have everything nicely organized. Add a new folder via green button + and then click Create folder. Appears a blue folder where you have to input a name.
You can also change folder color via three-dot menu > Change color > select color and confirm the setting via Save.
How to work with items
Within Files you can have many levels of folders and subfolders. It works just as the common computer storage.
How to move item
Move items into folder via drag&drop (pull with mouse) or move it across the project/folders. In case you want to move the item to another project or a subfolder, click three-dot menu > Move.
In following form select a project > Where do you want to move the item… and folders/subfolders > Select folder. Confirm via Move.
How to copy item
It is useful when you have template where are prepared field to be filled. For example create a note where you enter client’s details.
Click three-dot menu > Copy.
Then select a project, folder and subfolders, where you want to place the item.
You can set a color for folders and files. Click three-dot menu and select Change color. Confirm via Save.
Navigation and location
How to move from folder to folder? Use breadcrumb navigation, where is visible the exact item location. It is right under the filters.
At the picture you can see current subfolder Blogposts, that is organized in three subfolders by post status Published, WIP, Ideas and is part of a folder Content.
When you click the sub/folder name in the navigation, you will be redirected there.
Search by item title or type
Across the files and subfiles, you can search and filter according to item name or type (note, Google doc, picture, PDF etc.).
Item order and view
There are several ways how to order your files and folders:
- From newest or oldest
- By name from A-Z or Z-A
- By size from biggest or smallest
- By priority
- Custom order as you want
You can switch from the view next to each other (default setting) to rows. Change the listing in top right corner via Change view.
How to link files from cloud
Link for files in external storage can be still added to comments in tasks. In the section Files you can add link regardless the task. You can choose from following connected services:
- Google Drive
- Other link – any URL address
Click the green + and select one from section Add links from services.
In the form you have to input the Title and paste the link. If it is Google document, you need to select document type. It is up to you whether you ass a note – what does the file contain or some instructions, how to work with it. Form the text as in common comments in Freelo.
At this point you can also choose other users, that you would like to notify about the changes.
Added link has icon of the particular cloud service. When you click the icon, it redirects you to the link detail in Freelo. There you can discuss over the file with your colleagues, add it to your priority or create a public link.
In link detail click Open link and go to the document on Google Drive, OneDrive etc.
Other frequently asked questions
What happens to my text and files when I close my browser window without saving it?
We thought about this situation. This can happen in the following cases:
- In task discussion: added text and uploaded files will wait for you to just open the window again.
- On the detail of the project when adding a new task: itemized task will stay there as in previous case.
- In the new task window, which is called with the plus icon in the blue bar: If you have text in this window, we warn you when you closing the window by saying that you should not close the window. It is up to you if you listen to us 🙂 If you press the Esc for the first time, nothing happens. When you press the Esc twice, then we close the window and the text will be irreversibly gone.
How can I download all the files in one comment in bulk?
All comments that have more than one attached files, have option Download files in comment. Click and start downloading a .zip file with all the files that are in the comment.
How can I download all files in the task?
If the discussion contains any more files, in the right menu is option to Download all files. Click and start downloading a .zip file. This includes all the files from the discussion in this task.